This document outlines the best practices PBS’ Sesame Street Workshop has assembled from years of testing on digital media platforms.
According to PBS, the most intuitive interaction gestures for preschoolers are:
And the least intuitive include:
- Double Tap
I actually don’t think it’s that different than the rest of the population. I’d love to see some apps like Facebook or even Angry Birds mocked up using these principles. Wonder how much easier it would be to use, and whether the experience would be hindered by being so explicit.
It seems that the biggest difference is patience. Adults will fail more in trying to learn a new behavior (albeit with the same level of frustration) while children will give up much easier.
But the biggest takeaway that applies to all UX: give the user lots of feedback to help them along the journey.
Pinterest: nine best practice tips for brands
- Don’t just blow your own trumpet
- Let others contribute
- Update your boards on a regular basis
- Use eye-catching images
- Add links to your images
- Be wary of copyright infringement
- Don’t include prices or logos
- Make pins and pinboards searchable
- Add a Pinterest share tab to your website
- Make your returns policy easy to understand
- Make your returns policy easy to see
- Don’t charge for returns
- Include clear returns instructions in packaging
- If you offer free returns, shout about it
- Help shoppers with great product images and video
- Provide detailed product information
- User reviews
- Fitting tools and virtual wardrobes
- Offer free home trials
- Don’t quibble over returns
- Ask for feedback when customers return products
- Provide multichannel returns
- Keep customers informed
- Know Your Purpose
- Think Small But Don’t Shrink Down
- Consider all Shapes & Sizes
- Be Light
- Touchy Feely Mechanics
- Context in Context
The Mobile Web Best Practice website is a really clever responsively built website with really great information about best practices when building and designing both UX and visual design for the mobile web.
They cover things like Haptics, Layout, Type, Feedback, Structure and other important principles.
Best Practices for Effective Call to Action Buttons